Iso 9001:2000 is a standard for quality management system
What is ISO 9001:2000 Standard?
ISO 9001:2000 is a standard for Quality Management System.
Today, when customer is the king and business environment dynamic, the organisation needs to have a well defined, robust and results oriented management system to achieve sustainable competitive advantage in the market place.
Thus, ISO 9001:2000 Quality Management System is the best tool available to increase productivity, streamline operations, increase customer satisfaction and improve profit margins through superior quality.
Benefit of ISO 9001:2000 Certification for Construction Industry?
When Indian economy is being opened up and with government of India deciding to allow foreign direct investment in the real estate development sector, importance of an international system certification like ISO 9001:2000 increases manifold for the Indian construction companies.
ISO 9001:2000 offers a variety of benefits to the construction industry. These benefits range from better resource planning to effective monitoring, and control of the project--from improved employee efficiency to reduced customer complaints, and from increased productivity to enhanced market image.
The ISO 9001: 2000 standard places greater emphasis on customer needs, expectations and improving business performance through delighting the customers.
ISO 9000 certification will drive continual improvement and contribute to:
- Consistent and effective control of key processes and project management.
- Promotion and standardization of good working practices
- Provision of a vehicle for training new employees.
- Effective management of risk and reducing crisis management.
- More effective data analysis, generation of key performance metrics and continual improvement objectives.
- Greater emphasis on communication, leadership, change management and adequacy of training
- A planning and review process which ensures the system in place remains suitable, effective and capable of identifying new opportunities
- Effective remote site management, accountability and contractual control
- Promoting control of suppliers and subcontractors and the development of effective supply chain management
- World-wide recognition and improved market image.
Steps for Achieving ISO 9001:2000 Certification:-
- Awareness training on ISO 9001 and quality management system for all the employees of the organization.
- Gap Analysis to find out degree of gap between your existing system of working and requirement of ISO 9001 standard.
- Development and finalization of quality policy and objectives to provide a growth roadmap for the organization.
- Documentation design, development and implementation.
- Monitoring of the new implemented system.
- Internal audit training and conduct of the internal audit.
- Management Review Meeting to assess effectiveness of the quality management system.
- Shadow audit to ensure that the system is implemented as per the requirements of ISO 9001:2000 and the organization is ready for final certification audit.
- Final Certification Audit and the organization are awarded ISO 9001:2000 certification.
Time Required for achieving ISO 9001:2000 certification:-
Time required for implementing and achieving ISO 9001:2000 certificate varies from company to company depending upon size of the organization, complexity of the processes and urgency of the certificate for the organization.
Normally, the project can be completed from 2 months to 4 months working at a normal pace. But this period can be reduced or increased as per the requirement of the organization.
Expenses incurred for achieving ISO 9001:2000 Certification:-
There is an absolute wrong perception amongst the organizations that achieving ISO 9001:2000 certification is very expensive, which is not so.
Investment made in ISO 9001:2000 implementation and certification is much lower than the benefits derived from it.
Expenses for achieving ISO 9001:2000 certificate vary from company to company depending on size of the organization, number of employees working and nature of operations the company is into.
On an average, ISO 9001:2000 implementation that includes cost for consultancy and certification will vary between Rs. 80,000 to Rs. 1,50,000 for a small to medium size organization.
Lakshy Management Consultant Pvt. Ltd. Offers consultancy and certification services to the construction industry for achieving ISO 9001:2000 certification.
Article By: Kaushal Sutaria
|Posted : 6/6/2006|